Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The President Tea House - SM North (Annex)

We have dined here several times before. Actually, a few years back, I tried to bring my family to its original branch at Binondo but due to unavailability of parking space and unfamiliarity to Manila's side streets  I forego my plan until I accidentally saw The President Tea House branch at 2nd floor of SM Annex on our way to ACE hardware sometime last year. My family initially had second thought about The President Tea House but after I relayed to them its colorful past and how I enjoyed its food during my younger years with my late Chinese grandpa they gave in and the rest is history.

Our 20th wedding anniversary celebration

with Happy Stripes

Few days back, my wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary here with our 3 kids. We ordered tasty and flavorful Crab soup with sweet corn as starter. The small order was enough for 5 of us; each having double-cup.



My favorite drinks. Green Tea to prepare my stomach for a sumptuous lunch; a bottle of San Mig Light to deaden my taste buds from time to time and plain water to wash it all. Take note, a bottle of beer only. That is my max whenever I drive.









For the main course, our 2 elder kids ordered their favorite menu, Lumpiang Shanghai and Lemon Chicken while my youngest tried to be adventurous, he asked for Mandarin Chicken. The sourly taste of Lemon Chicken was perfect for the sweet and saucy Mandarin Chicken. I settled for Spinach with two-type eggs (salty and century). Yang Chow Fried Rice was perfect for the occasion.

In addition, I have missed Philippines for more than a year due to travel ban to Yemen; I spent my monthly vacation away from home. Thus, when the ban has been lifted, I immediately brought my family to TPTH at SM Annex. During the travel ban, I have dined in different Chinese restaurants in other countries but I always long for TPTH authentic Chinese cuisine adapted to Pinoy taste.




On our earlier visit, we ordered our favorite soup, Birds Nest with Quail Eggs, Bean Curd, crispy Beef brisket, spare ribs and Yang Chow Fried Rice. My youngest got himself a fried half-chicken.

Old picture of TPTH

Note the tables at the background; my youngest kid with take-out

It was great for SM North management to expand the area of The President Tea House. The first time we visited the place last year, we noticed almost half of TPTH area was located outside the enclosed dining area making the enclosed area a bit crowded while diners outside were not able to enjoy the ambiance. Fortunately, there were only 3 of us at that time hence we were able to reserve the last table inside the enclosed dining area.

During holidays, TPTH is usually full thus some late diners are waiting outside for table to be vacated. Whenever we plan to eat here we see to it that we arrive at least 11:15 am in order to have the best seat in the house. Further, it was a fantastic decision for TPTH to open some branches in some SM malls thus it is now pretty convenient for its fanboys to enjoy its authentic Chinese dishes at reasonable price.

For small size order, the price ranges from 200 to 300 pesos. For 5 of us, we normally order several small size dishes including rice and soup so as there would be variety and still enough for all of us. Live sea foods are also available in their aquariums. I felt guilty when I saw them catching a live grouper after I have ordered fish fillet with spicy sauce. Likewise, you can select some ready to eat dimsums as appetizer from their dimsum cart or trolley being peddled while waiting for your order .


20 February 2013

It was unfortunate to know that TPTH in SM North, Annex has been closed since last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment