Friday, December 9, 2011

Malaysia - Hotel Summer View

The first time I went to Kuala Lumpur, I stayed at Jalan Ipoh, near PWTC.

The place was truly "Malaysian" because my-not-so-famous hotel "Ra Balouch" was located within the residential areas and near to hospital and public market. However, regarding transportation, it was not tourist-friendly. You need to take "teksi" most of the times because the nearest LRT station, PWTC was a 10 minutes walk. Aside from this, I got lost when I tried to go to Batu Caves by bus.

I can't bring my wife and 12 yo kid to that area unless I am prepared to hear their daily protests. I need to find a place where there is convenient transportation, place to shop and dine. I mean at least fast-food style dining and not the local-themed alfresco style restaurant where fly is part of the ambiance.

I searched the net and found Hotel Summer View. The hotel has good review in terms of service and location. It is walking distance from KL Sentral.


breakfast coupons
I booked two rooms for 4 nights with complimentary breakfast and free strong and fast wifi connection. Each room was 45 usd per night. We stayed there from 07 to 11 October. Upon check-in, they swiped my visa card for 200 RM deposit even if I have fully paid our reservation by net. Nevertheless, the amount didn't reflect on my card billing.

The room was good for two people with enough space to go around the bed and arrange your luggage. There was no wardrobe but you can hang your clothes. In addition, there was also an electronic safe which I didn't expect from a budget hotel.



Room phone was an added bonus especially when my wife wanted to check from time to time her "baby" in another room. Likewise, the hotel uses electronic card key for added security and energy saving.

We have in our room a 21 inch CRT TV. Well, that's acceptable considering the availability of cable news and English movie channels.


The carpet was clean and new thus even when you walk bare-footed you won't feel any dust or dirt getting stuck under your feet.

The same with the beddings, they were all new and crisp. They were perfect for the centralized air-conditioning.

Complimentary tea, coffee and 2 bottles of water were provided and replenished daily. I like their cute electric kettle. Also, the way they installed their power outlets was commendable. It was so convenient using them unlike in some 5 star hotels where their power outlets were out of sight thus you need to exert effort in locating and using them.

Regarding the toilet or bathroom. There was nothing special but it was acceptable and clean. The towels seem new and fluppy. Since the hotel was new, you won't find any molds yet. I hope they'd be able to maintain its present state.

The hotel has centralized hot water supply so you are assured of constant supply of hot water not only for shower but also at lavatory.

Hotel Summer View is just a mere 10 minutes walk to KL Sentral and 5 minutes walk to Monorail Tun Sambanthan station. Trust me, from this area, you can easily go to any place of interest without any difficulty in transportation.

Tun Sambanthan monorail station - view from our room
The buffet breakfast was basic but satisfying. You normally have 4 to 5 choices which include beef or chicken sausages, eggs, noodles, veal bacon as I remember. Each day has its own menu. Juices, tea and coffee were free flowing. You can even toast your bread.

The young lady at the reception was very nice and helpful. She tried her best to print my e-ticket and she always wear a smile. However, her partner, the guy at the reception was a bit "cold" towards the guests but in fairness he was polite.

Night view - coming from monorail station
In general, this budget hotel is value for money. It is new thus you can expect that the facilities are still in its pristine state.You can have cheaper hotel around this area but those hotels have seen their days.

The negative side of this hotel was unavailability of laundry service. It was blessing in disguise because I found a self-service coin-operated laundry shop 100 meters away, near 7-eleven. It was cheaper and enjoyable to do your own laundry and drying because you have a chance to observe daily life in Kuala Lumpur.

For the price and at its present state, I highly recommend this hotel but for those who prefers to maximize their hotel budget then there are several hotels within the vicinity which are cheaper and also decent.












Revised on 22 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment