Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Singapore - Food Trip - part 2

I would start this food trip again from Chinatown.

Having Chinese ancestor, it is normal for me to love Siopao (chicken/pork bun) and noodles or mami. When in Philippines, I frequently visit Chowking from time to time. I love their Congee, Beef (emperor) Noodles and Lomi.

Because of my fondness to these, I tried to compare the Singaporean noodles/mami with our pinoy style noodles.




So, I returned back to Chinatown food street. I searched for Hawker/ food cart showing eye-pleasing and mouth watering noodles.











Found one


I chose chicken mushroom ball soup/noodles and paid 5 S$. It took 5 minutes to prepare my order.

Eye-pleasing, ha? In reality, it looks like this.


It looks eewww.. Anyway, I was hungry.

The noodles tasted like our pinoy noodles while the soup was extremely flavorful. I loved those big mushrooms. I don't normally see those giant size mushrooms in Manila. I remember the time I was in France, the mushrooms there were huge and the chef even cut them into pieces. Going back to the noodles, the chicken balls were decent and good.

All in all, the noodles was acceptable and quite an experience to eat. However, soon thereafter, my tongue was dying for water. Usually, when I order noodles or soup from Chowking, I don't long for any drink. But the situation after eating the noodles above was different so I purchased a big bottle of Dasani mineral water from my hostel and gulf almost half of it. It seems the cook put so much MSG to my order making it so tasty. In doing so, it caused my tongue to  long for water. I didn't dare go back to the same hawker/food cart at Chinatown food street.

When my feet brought me back to Chinatown, I just bought my favorite chicken bun worth 2.50 S$ and one red bean paste bun which costs 1 S$. Again, Auntie provided me with a pair of chopstick.


While eating the chicken bun, I realized that the chopsticks were mainly used to pick the chunky chicken meat inside the bun. Nonetheless, I was trained to eat Siopao with my bare hands. Siopao with Tiger was so satisfying. Siopao as beer match, anyone?


I have discovered the Singaporean way of eating the bun or siopao. Thus, it would be interesting to see them eating our chopstick-less Siopao in Philippines. They need to open their mouth bigger.

One lazy day, while strolling along Bugis Street, I noticed this LED electronic sign.


They have their own Food Street in Bugis. OK, let me see what they can offer.

I tried the first stall. It was offering the Taiwan Itchiban. I believe, we have this in Philippines too.


This one looks nice and appealing.


If I remember it correctly, shitake means mushroom. I paid 3 S$ for a package. The lady weighed my package using a mini scale, no idea how much grams for 3 S$. She deep fried my order and sprinkled them with ground pepper and chili powder, since I asked for spicy flavor, and put them inside a paper bag and provided me with 2 sticks for picking the shitake.


Initially, I thought it was very spicy because it was hot but it was literally hot. So I run to the nearest drink station and bought water melon juice worth 1 S$.


After few minutes, I continued eating the crispy shitake again. True to its name, it was crispy. Without any flavoring it taste neutral. I enjoyed the whole package.

But I was not satisfied so I decided to try the other food stall/hawker.



It was offering Szechuan vegetables noodles for 4 S$.


I believe they were using their home-made noodles because I saw the cook inserting a flat pasta inside the noodle making machine producing flat noodles/pasta. The flat noodles were slippery and very firm, you really need to bite them and they kept on slipping back to the soup whenever I scoop them. If you are a veggie then this soup is for you, you will find cabbage, pieces of kangkongs,  radish, etc. plus crab sticks, slices of ham and hotdog plus few "bola-bola."

The soup was spicy but bland. Honestly, I don't like the soup/noodles per se but it was a memorable experience to have a taste of Szechuan noodles in Singapore. The last time I ate an authentic Szechuan food was few months back in Hong Kong with my son.

By the way, those tasty crab sticks and "bola-bola" saved the day.

During my 6 weeks stay in Singapore, my colleague and I visited KL, Malaysia for few days and returned back to Singapore through Johor Bahru. We passed by at Marsiling MRT station. Since it was already past 8pm, we decided to take our dinner at Marsiling Food House. I ordered roast Duck. It was simply superb. The hawker used a special sauce which was on the sweet side. I washed the entire meal with a Tiger.





After spending few days in Kuala Lumpur, I missed the tiger.





MY OTHER FOOD TRIPS IN SINGAPORE:

Food Trip - part 1
Maxwell Food Center
Food Republic
Beach Road Scissor Cut Curry Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment